why hire a Pet sitter?
- When your pet stays in his own home, they won't be stressed from being transported to a strange place.
- Your pet will be able to stay in their own home where they are most comfortable, with the sights, sounds, and smells to which they are accustomed.
- If your pet is on medication, or other medical treatment, your pet sitter will be able to keep them on their regular schedule.
- Your pet will not be exposed to illnesses that may be contracted at a kennel or other boarding facility.
- Having a pet sitter come to your home also works as a crime deterrent. Our pet sitters will bring in the mail, turn lights off/on, open/close draperies, etc. to help give your home a lived in look. And, in the event of an emergency, they will be able to contact you immediately rather than you coming home to find a problem with your home.
- You won't have to inconvenience family or friends. While they may mean well, and intend to give excellent care, sometimes they may fall short of your expectations. When you hire a professional pet sitter, it creates a businesses relationship with clear expectations for you and your pet sitter.
- Pet sitters further their education and continue to improve their skills in order to give your pets the best care possible (first aid training, pet CPR, pet behavior seminars, etc.).
- Your pet will get consistent and personalized care from one person who knows your pet well. Most pet sitters will become quite fond of your pets and will give them excellent care!
- It's more convenient for you. You won't have to carve time out of your busy schedule to drop off or pick up your pet from a kennel.
- Your pet will be home, waiting at the door to greet you when you come home!
Most pets, especially cats and dogs, like routine. Using the services of a professional pet sitter will enable your pets to keep their normal eating, playtime, exercise, and sleep routines.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What kinds of pets do you care for?
A. We have experience caring for dogs, cats, birds, fish, ferrets, hamsters, rabbits, reptiles and many other species. We care for most animals, as long as they do not pose a danger to our Pet Sitters.
Q. Do you come to my house or do my pets go to your house?
A. That's a commonly asked question. We provide pet sitting and dog walking at your home. That way, your pets get to remain in the comfort and safety of their own home. We try to match your normal routine and do whatever necessary to keep them happy and stress-free. There are many benefits of letting your pets stay in their own, familiar, environment. However, on a limited space availability we will pet sit a dog in our home.
Q. How do I sign up?
A. To sign up with Big Paw Pet Care we recommend you click our "register" link above and create a profile using our state of the art scheduling system. You can also send an e-mail to us using the contact us page, or place a call to our office. If you choose to inquire online, please fill out all necessary information about you, your pet(s) and the dates of service, and we will call you within 24 hours to schedule a free initial in-home "meet and greet". If e-mailing or leaving a message at the office please be certain to include your name, dates of vacation or daily walking requests, pet information (name(s), age(s), breed(s), etc.) and a phone number where you can be reached.
Q. What does the initial "meet and greet" entail?
A. The interview / consultation gives you a chance to meet us, and us a chance to meet you and your pet(s), to familiarize ourselves with your home and routine, and to discuss all pertinent information about your pet's needs. Our top priority is the health, safety and happiness of those in our care. We want to make sure we'll get along well and enjoy a pleasant experience together. We also want to tailor our services to fit you and your pet perfectly. This initial meeting has no cost and is our way of being certain that you, your pets and your Pet Sitter feel it will be an amicable partnership.
Q. Do we need to meet every time I leave town?
A. No. Once we have your house key and your service contract on file you can simply go to our website and make an appointment online.
Q. How does our Pet Sitter get access to my home?
A. Upon meeting at the "meet and greet" we will request a copy of your house keys to be kept on file in our office. All keys are kept in a secure location and can only be accessed by the owning partners of Big Paw Pet Care. Our number one priority is the care of your pets and, this way, in an emergency we can be just a phone call away!
Q. How safe are my house keys?
A. Your keys are coded and always stored in a locked and secure location in our office, separate from any files or information which could link the key to your address. While in service, they are with your pet sitter at all times. In the highly unlikely event that your keys are lost, it is covered under our business liability insurance policy. You would be notified immediately and a locksmith would re-key your entire home at no cost to you.
Q. How many times per day do you come to my house while I am gone?
A. As many times as you book us for. Every situation is unique. Dogs typically need 2-3 visits per day and cats usually need only one daily visit. We will arrange a schedule, with you, to best suit your pet(s). Dog sitting visits are never more than 12 hours apart and cat sitting visits are never more than 24 hours apart.
Q. How and when do I pay you?
A. We send our clients an invoice on the day of booking. Payment must be made prior to the scheduled visit. We accept checks, cash, and all major credit cards for your convenience.
Q. Do you have a holiday fee?
A. Yes, There is a $20 additional charge for major holidays (New Years Eve Day, New Years Day, Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day). This fee is payed to the sitters for their time away from their famlies on holidays.
Q. What if my pet becomes ill or injured while I am away?
A. We will assess your pet's condition and, if need be, contact your veterinarian or 24 hour emergency facility. If your pets require medical care, we will contact you as soon as possible at your emergency numbers on file and keep you informed throughout their treatment.
Q. Can I be assured of the same Pet Sitter each time?
A. We definitely prefer to keep the same Pet Sitter assigned to your account each time, however if that individual is not available for some reason, a fully trained (and informed) substitute will always be available for back up. You will be notified in advance of any changes pertaining to your pet/home care and a meeting with the new Pet Sitter can be arranged upon request. ALL Pet sitters working under Big Paw Pet Care are covered by our business liability insurance and are also bonded.
Q. Do you administer medication to pets?
A. For the most part we will administer medication - pills and drops are no additional charge. In some cases there may be a charge depending upon the application. We, however, cannot administer medication to any animal that poses a danger to our Pet Sitters.
Q. May I give my Pet Sitter a gratuity?
A. Absolutely. You may give gratuities directly to your Pet Sitter, or if you prefer we can add it to your total bill. Please contact us if you choose to have your pet sitters gratuity added to your bill. 100% of gratuities go directly to your designated Pet Sitter.